Sunday, December 11, 2011

I am a little obsessed with Carey Mulligan


A lot of photos have been surfacing of the new Great Gatsby film reboot. The cast is stellar: Leonardo Dicaprio, Tobey Maguire, Isla Fischer and my favorite, Carey Mulligan.


My one problem is that Baz Luhrmann is directing it. I get that some people think he is a visionary but I just don't. There are two kinds of people in this world: People who like Moulin Rouge and those who don't. It's like he wants everyone to feel like they are on ecstasy.



Yes, I liked Romeo & Juliet as much as the next 13-year-old girl but I soon got over it. That Claire Danes crying scene pretty much ruined it for everyone. And I am not pleased with the fact that he is putting the film in 3D but with that cast, I will give it the benefit of the doubt.


Anyway, back to Carey Mulligan. She really had her big break two years ago when she starred in the film An Education which is amazing (she had already had a small part in one of my other favorite films, Pride & Prejudice, but that was Keira Knightly's movie.)

Then suddenly Carey was everywhere. Partly because in one year she was nominated for a BAFTA, a Golden Globe and an Oscar and booked one of the most anticipated sequels ever, Oliver Stone's Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps.


Then throw in the fact that Anna Wintour said she liked her (which is pretty much the equivalent of them braiding each other's hair and telling secrets to each other) and that little affair with Shia Labeouf before he became a total douchebag and you've got a star. Some of her movies have been too depressing to watch (hello Never Let Me Go) but most have been great (Drive and the upcoming Shame.)



By the way Shame is the upcoming film where Michael Fassbender (hottie from XMen: First Class) plays a sex addict.  And now she is Daisy Buchanan. She beat out several famous ladies for this role including Blake Lively (thank God.) Plus her fashion sense, though somewhat odd sometimes, is killer. She is a complete original. And I love that she refuses to grow out her hair.








No comments:

Post a Comment