Monday, July 4, 2011

I love it when New York City is empty

Also, happy Fourth of July! But I do love it when the city is just completely empty (and it does remind me of that amazing and iconic opening scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's. I really should have done that this weekend). You could have literally sat right down in the middle of Madison Avenue this weekend and not gotten hit by a car for like 10 minutes. I really don't recommend this though unless you are with Ryan Gosling's character in The Notebook. Wow, that hasn't been on cable in like a month. That may be a record.

Anyway when the city is this quiet it is just great to walk around. It feels like I own the island. I mean I was able to walk into Starbucks on Lexington Avenue and get my drink within less than 3 minutes. That may be a record.

On these holiday weekends the city reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Everyone Says I Love You. The movie is about a rich, New York family that spontaneously burst into songs by Gershwin. There is a scene where a 13-year-old Natalie Portman and 15-year-old Gabby Hoffman (what happened to her?) come back from The Hamptons to see a show and talk about how empty the city is with the cute boy they both have a crush on. Of course, any empty city also reminds of I Am Legend which scared the crap out of me and makes me really sad everytime I see a German Shepherd.
Natalie and Gabby in Everyone Says I Love You. I wore this uniform too!

I am Legend

No comments:

Post a Comment