Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I am so ready for Oz: The Great and Powerful!!


Dorothy: How do you talk if you don't have a brain? 
Scarecrow: Well, some people without brains do an awful lot of talking don't they?



The Wizard of Oz is one of those films where sometimes I think it would be amazing if they remade it today (and not like a Muppets version which does exist or that weird Tin Man SciFi channel series) but at the same time I don't think they should touch it. Everytime I watch it I am still blown away. It is just perfect. 



The Wizard of Oz is just so special not only because the story is absolutely incredible but because it was such an iconic beginning for the amazing Judy Garland. I don't think there is anything more beautiful then when she sings Somewhere Over the Rainbow with her little Toto. No one can sing like Judy and no one ever will. The sparkly red slippers, all the green, the witch. Just amazing. 



But when I heard they were doing a prequel, I was pretty excited. Prequels are just so chic right now. Oz: The Great and Powerful looks a bit like Wicked which as we know was pretty awesome.


Dorothy became just a minor character and as we know, the backstory of the bad girls are always a lot more fun.






The cast is amazing (Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis, James Franco, Zach Braff) and it just looks great albeit Disneyfied (also what is that weird guppy thing in the trailers? And the small doll woman kind of freaks me out but flying monkeys! Yah!) Plus, I have always had an affinity for the role of the wizard as I starred as him when my eight grade performed the musical (which I must say, was awesome.)




But you can tell the actors are excited about this film. Even Michelle Williams who usually seems so mellow seems happy!


A few thoughts on The Wizard of Oz:

Dorothy should really be attributed for making it chic to go on long walks while toting a small dog in a bag (well, basket) and in sparkly shoes. I do that every night.


This could be me with my dog...if I wore gingham dresses and my hair in pigtails.


I love that shoes were magic. Or maybe they weren't really magic but they made us feel like we were magic. That is pretty much the definition of a great shoe. Plus so sparkly.





Emerald is an awesome color. Nuff' said.



Always listen to a woman in a big, pink puffy dress with a wand.


Best lesson ever: You can go to the ends of the earth, but there really is no place like home. Even when home is a black and white farm with a witch next door. 


No comments:

Post a Comment