Sunday, May 15, 2011

Tina Fey's "Bossypants" may be one of the best books of all time



I have never been a fast reader. Mostly because my ADD has pretty much gotten worse as I have aged plus society is totally contributing with their internets and DVR and iPods. Our society has contributed to my generation never being without constant distraction. I must say sometimes I am quite disturbed when I can't even imagine what it is like to walk down the street without music. So as you can imagine reading books (not work-related articles) is often very difficult for me because it takes so much attention. The iPad has helped me read more on the subway but sitting down on a Saturday afternoon in the big pink chair in my room (that is pretty much in there soley for the point of reading) just seems weird to me because I could be outside listening to my music or what if I miss something really important on TV like a Real Housewives of NJ marathon? Anyway, though I was lucky to be given the gift of time this weekend when I flew to Las Vegas for a friend's bachelorette. I enjoy listening to music in a car but I don't like to do it on a plane. And Unstoppable, the movie that sounds like an SAT problem about stopping a runaway train just sounded less than great (and that means it must be really shitty because this is a person who just purchased the film From Prada to Nada), wasn't going to do it. I bought Tina Fey's new book Bossy Pants weeks ago but I hadn't even opened it yet. I figured I would get in a few pages and then be distracted by something but 200 pages later I realized I was almost done! I have never been that person that finishes a book in one sitting. I actually was the person who put down The Da Vinci Code. I mean I know it is not like I was reading War & Peace but I was still impressed with myself! 

Plus it is really quite fun to laugh hilariously outloud on a plane and get people to stare at you. But Tina Fey just makes me laugh so much! I thought the book was really about what it is like to be a powerful woman in comedy which is a male dominated field and it was but it was also about her interesting childhood, how she was mainly friends with gay dudes growing up, her first few years at Saturday Night Live, her honeymoon, having a baby, raising a child when you have one of the busiest jobs in show business ( I don't understand how she physically had time to read this), the importance of photoshop and how to behave at photoshoots. I really can't do it justice except if you like 30 Rock then you will love this plus it gives you some good career tips, especially if you are lady. You can read about some of the lessons at The Grindstone which is an awesome site you must read (Full disclosure, I am the editor of The Grindstone and am shamelessly promoting it). I can't truly explain how much I love Tina Fay but she has played a major part in some of my favorite things including Saturday Night Live, Mean Girls and now 30 Rock (plus I honestly thought Baby Mama was good). She encourages women to be funny but not in a preachy way and she encourages us to wave our inner freak flag. Not that this book needs my promotion, it is number one in the country, but you should seriously put down Freedom and read this because it will only take you a day or two. I had so many favorite quotes but here is one of my favorite quotes:

This is Ms.Fey describing the do's and dont's of a photoshoot:

"Sometimes they ask you if you want to hook up your iPod for background music. Do not do this. It's a trap. They'll put it on shuffle, and no matter how much Beastie Boys or Velvet Underground you have on there, the following four tracks will play in a row: "We'd Like To Thank You Herbert Hoover" from Annie, "Hold On" by Wilson Phillips, "That's What Friends are For," Various Artists, and "We'd Like to Thank You Herbert Hoover" from Annie."

Not that I will be doing a photoshoot any time soon but I have a few tracks from Annie the musical I would also rather the world not know about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment